To protect, conserve, and cherish the Zanzibar Stone Town culture and heritage with sheer Excellence, then share and celebrate our heritage with the world both in the present and for future generations.
Sheer Excellence in the Conservation of Our Culture and Heritage.
Stone Town Conservation and Development Authority (STCDA) is a Government institution responsible for controlling and managing conservation activities in Stone Town World Heritage Site (WHS). Among the major roles it is undertaking are as follows:
- To establish, plan, prepare, coordinate and control matters related to managing conservation and development of conservation area.
- To examine, approve and undertake conservation and development efforts and projects in the conservation area and monitor infrastructure development.
- To take care of the proper use and maintenance of public areas and buildings in the conservation area.
- To consult and advise the private sectors, Government department, regulatory authority or other institution on issues concerning restoration rehabilitation, conservation of buildings and its environment.
The Stone Town Conservation and Development Authority was established under Act No. 3, 1994 and later amended by Act No. 4 of 2010 to carry on its functions and exercise its powers provided under the Act. Its key function is to protect and enhance the Stone Town’s cultural heritage and preserve the heritage site as a sustainable human settlement supportive of its cultural diversity and maintain its Outstanding Universal Value.
According the new Act, the Stone Town Conservation and Development Authority was charged with the responsibility to protect and enhance the Stone Town’s cultural heritage and preserve the heritage site as a sustainable human settlement supportive of its cultural diversity and maintain its Outstanding Universal Value by executing the following functions:
- Promoting integrated conservation and development operations within the conservation area.
- Securing the provision of, or to provide services in relation to conservation of buildings.
- Promoting and monitoring infrastructure development within the conservation area.
- Developing and managing open spaces, gardens and recreational areas within conservation area.
- Entering into contractual obligations with other persons or body of persons in order to secure requisite services.
In accordance to the Act, STCDA shall have the duty in carrying out its functions. In the process of carrying out the above key functions, the Act also outlined the following duties of the Authority:
- Conserve, protect, develop and manage the World Heritage Site in compliance with heritage management plan, to safeguard the Outstanding Universal Value of the town.
- Enhance public knowledge, awareness and understanding of the functions of the Authority.
- Promote heritage and management of the Stone Town.
- Protect and preserve the environment within the conservation area in collaboration with other concerned institutions.
- Issue and cancel permits within the conservation area.
- Control and determine land use in the conservation area.
We uphold and strive for Excellence in our business and relationships
We strive to live, work honestly with everyone, and always keep our word.
We value working closely and collaboratively with others
We regard the contribution of everyone in our community with utmost recognition.
We uphold transparency, equality and objectivity in our business and relationships